Monday, March 2, 2009

Pretty Bits

I am not an epic rider, nor am I a racer. But I like to ride and I'd like to ride further. And I'd love to ride on something like this....



I've ridden a couple of carbon bikes. I see them out there in the world. But they do not make my heart sing. I do not imagine myself riding them.

Nope, for me, it is the cleaner, old school lines of steel that pull me in. I went in liking lugged, but seeing some brazed frames up close and naked of paint... well, sure, I could go that way too.

So, yes, I spent a few hours at the North American Handmade Bicycle Show this weekend. And here are some things I loved. Ziiiiiing!








3 comments:

Matthew said...

So, the burning question in my mind it this: do you need a mill and lathe to make the bits and pieces for the frames? I.e. are individual dropouts available (both steel and Al?) for purchase, and is there a good way to bore head tubes and bottom brackets?

For unrelated reasons, I am thinking about getting a tig welder - and a bike frame could be an interesting project...

Sean Hickey said...

Well, here we go again. You love rockin' the retro!

Me, I lust for a carbon bike.

Funny thing is, what I want next is really a single-speed mountain bike!

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

Matt, you can buy lots of the bits and pieces. Vendors had them out at the show...

Sean, yes, I want steel. I need to be able to bang through life and not have to worry about cracking a fancy pants carbon bike. Admittedly, there is something clean and appealing about a single speed mtb, but you should go ride Poto and then decide. Have you tried a modern mtb? They've done some nice things with trail bikes in the last 20 years!